Holy Trinity, Penn Street
The Revd. James Knollis of Holy Trinity, Penn had to surrender his Penn Street parishioners to Earl Howe’s (Richard Curzon Howe, 1st Earl Howe – revived title from his maternal grandfather, Admiral Earl Howe), desire for a new church to be built in Penn Street to serve his estate and Penn House in Penn Street. Queen Adelaide suggested the location for the new church whilst resting under a beech tree, still known as Queen Adelaide’s Beech (adjacent to the present car park). Earl Howe, who was the Queen’s Lord Chamberlain, is patron of both Penn and Penn Street churches, and family memorials and graves exist at both churches.
The new church was also named Holy Trinity, and due to the similarity of the two village names, Penn, and Penn Street, the two churches are often confused by visitors, and in published articles and news items.
Articles relating to Holy Trinity, Penn Street:
- Vicars of Penn Street
- People and Events
- Notable Burials
- War Memorial
- Burial Register 1849 – 1960
- Stained Glass of Holy Trinity Penn Street
- Contact Us
- Holy Trinity Penn, Heritage Website
- St. Margaret’s Tylers Green, Heritage Website